Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Enough is enough !!!!

I mentioned previously that I had pulled out my Concord vines this Spring. These were my first vines. I made a lot of jelly with them but I do not like them for wine. I prefer to make "wine" jelly anyway (especially a nice Barolo). So, they got taken out and will be replaced with Marquettes.

My St Croix vines are now 5 (or 6?) years old and I have attempted to make wine with them for the past few years. As I mentioned in a previous post, I simply have not acquired a palate for this wine. As I mentioned previously, I am really impressed with the Marquette wine I have made and would much prefer this to the St Croix.

So..... today, I also pulled out all the St Croix vines from my vineyard!!!

The vineyard looks rather "spotty" now. The Concords are gone, the St Croix are gone, and several Marquettes are gone (Very unusual bunny damage this winter and I got a bit sloppy with the Roundup). Now have about 17 empty spots.

Oh well, I'll fill in the holes with more Marquettes and in four years I'll be back to producing vines again.

No comments: