Friday, February 19, 2010

Update re: Winery and new "Mini-Brewery"

Wow! It has been about 6 months since my last post. Time really flies.....

Winemaking activities over the winter are always rather slow and hands-off while waiting for the new wines to "do-their-thing". I hope to post soon with the numbers and actions I've taken over the last 6 months with both the St Croix and Marquette wines. They are really tasting good!!

With all the snow and drifting I have not been able to start any of the winter pruning. Many of my vines are still under several feet of snow.

It's now been about one full year since I started my mini-brewery. I jumped in with both feet and skipped the usual "extract" brewing (from concentrates) and got right into "all-grain" brewing. I have a couple of mash lauter tuns, a couple of propane burners, several pots and a Keggle, a 14lb grain mill, 6 corney-kegs, CO2 tank, beer fridge, etc. I've brewed 16 batches of beer in the past year and am finding this new hobby (obsession?) to be a lot of fun. Now, friends and visitors can enjoy not only a wide variety of wines but can also enjoy up to 6 beers on tap with others available in bottles.

No comments: